Monday, August 29, 2011

one step at a time

This morning I did not get up with my alarm at 6:15. I attempted to go back to sleep because I have been SO TIRED lately, but I laid in bed and all I could do was think about how I needed to get up and have more time to run. It was this nagging voice that would just not let me go back to sleep! So I did it I begrudgingly got out of bed and got dressed. I did my stretches, got my gum(have to run with gum in my mouth, it really BOTHERS me when my mouth gets too dry), opened my imapmyrun app, got my iPod ready and stepped outside. Immediately I knew I had made the right decision, the air was so cool and smelled so fresh from the rain during the night. I was a little apprehensive about my run since I took Saturday and Sunday off, I wasn't sure how it was going to go... I walked for the first 15 seconds and then I found my running partner for the morning...Safetysuit :) I must have listened to their song "Apology" 4 times in a row because it was just doing wonders for my running! I got so into it at one point I was basically sprinting, which by the way felt AWESOME! I did slow my pace back down so I didn't burn out too quickly. I recommend everyone sprint from time to time because it is such an adrenaline rush! Again I focused more on my breathing and my stride which has REALLY helped me. Since I got out earlier I didn't feel rushed to get my run done so I added a little to my route which was nice. So today I ran 1.6 miles without stopping once! I am SO beyond happy with myself right now! Step by step I know I will one day be running a marathon because I know with dedication and time I WILL get there. I walked for a minute after that(and again I DID NOT look at my GPS until I stopped to walk, this is SO helpful!) I was thrilled to see 1.6 staring up at me :) After my minute walk I ran until I was well pretty exhausted...I saw another runner(which I LOVE, seeing other runners out is a HUGE motivator for me) so that pushed me to run past my usual quitting point on the way home which put me at a total run of 2.53 miles, my farthest yet!

Let's break this down for memory sake:
ran 1.6 miles = 11:36 mins/mile (slow but it used to be 13!)
walked .1 miles
ran .62 miles
walked .21 for cool down
Total run 2.53

So it was a GREAT run and I feel FANTASTIC! Hard to believe I used to hate running outside because it was SO HARD for me. It is still a CHALLENGE but that is part of the fun! Who wants to do something that is easy?? It's so much more rewarding to accomplish something that was SO HARD :)!


Lesson learned today:
I enjoy running so much more when I'm not rushed and I can focus on everything. Running for me has turned into my "me" time where I can think and just relax(relax while running? I know who thought that would be possible lol :)), every parent knows how important it is to still make time for YOU and to continue doing things you enjoy. I once lost who I was, yes I am a mom and a wife, but I didn't know who I was besides that. Some probably think that should be enough and for a long time that's what I kept telling myself, I thought that making time for me was selfish and that mothers shouldn't do it....WRONG! Moms need time for them, I now know how IMPORTANT it is. I am a MUCH happier mother and wife and I KNOW it is because I make time for ME. I challenge every mother out there to make time for herself this week and see what a difference it makes. Whether you run, walk, shop, read a book, take a hot bath...whatever just make time for YOU! I promise it will make a world of difference in your life and the lives of others that you affect.

I PROMISE myself to never lose who I am again, to never get lost in self pity and to never feel worthless again...because we all ARE WORTH IT!




                                                                    photo via I <3 to run
See you here tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I seriously wish I had the motivation to run! I just do not like it. I am quite impressed with your motivation and determination when it comes to running! I love your blog btw =)

    ReplyDelete

Any advice is more than welcome! I love hearing what I can do to make this journey even more enjoyable :)